The HBDS website makes use of the encrypted HTTPS security protocol, and Let's Encrypt™ verifies our site. You may click on the padlock in your browser bar for more information regarding the Let's Encrypt certificate installed on the site.
HBDS uses the reCAPTCHA and Invisible reCAPTCHA service provided by Google Inc. (Google) to protect your submissions via internet forms on this site. This plugin checks whether you are a person to prevent certain website functions, particularly comments or internet forms, from being abused by spam bots. The query includes sending the IP address and possibly other data Google requires for the reCAPTCHA service. For this purpose, your input will be communicated to and used by Google.
EU and European Economic Area residents: Google will truncate and therefore anonymise your IP address, only in exceptional circumstances transmitting your information to a Google server in the United States.
On behalf of HBDS, Google uses this information to evaluate your use of this site and the site use of this service. Google will not merge the IP address provided by reCAPTCHA from your browser with any other data from Google, and this data collection is subject to the data protection regulations of Google Inc.
By using the site, you consent to our use of Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, and Google's processing of data about you in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
Use of Information
In general, you can visit this site without telling us who you are or revealing any information about yourself.
Aggregated statistical information
Domain name information supplied to us is not used to identify you personally; it is aggregated to measure statistics such as the number of visits, average time spent on the site, pages viewed and so forth. We use this information to measure the use of our site, improve the content and user experience.
Gathering of personal information
There are portions of this site where we may need to collect personal information from you for a specific purpose. These include providing services such as allowing us to contact you on request, choosing to sign up to our newsletter, submitting a new patient details form, contacting us to request information or make appointments at Hout Bay Dental Studio.
Hout Bay Dental Studio will endeavour to ensure that your personal information details are protected as they travel over the internet. However, it should be remembered that no method of transmission of data over the internet, or electronic storage, is 100% secure, given the current state internet technology. While we strive for the best available security, HBDS cannot guarantee the absolute security of any information you transmit to us or which HBDS transmits to you.
Hout Bay Dental Studio cannot be held responsible for security breaches occurring on the user's personal computer or other electronic device used to browse the website, which may result due to the lack of adequate virus protection software, or spyware that the User may inadvertently have installed on their device.
We may collect the following kinds of information about you:
- Personal details such as your name, date of birth, gender, national identity or passport number, medical aid number, address, telephone number, email address and occupation
- Information about your dental and general health, including clinical records made by dentists and other dental professionals involved with your care and treatment
- X-rays, clinical photographs, digital scans of your mouth and teeth, and study models
- Medical and dental histories
- Treatment plans and consent
- Notes of conversations with you about your care
- Correspondence from other health professionals or institutions involved in your care
- Details of the fees we have charged, the amounts you have paid and some payment details
- Feedback or complaints
- CCTV images
- Online profile and social media information and activity, based on your interaction with us and
- Our websites, including for example Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plugin types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- Statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns – including the full URL clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); services or products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to individual pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
You may give us information about yourself by:
- Filling in forms at our practice or on our website.
- Corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise.
- Through the technology that you use to access our services.
Information we receive from third parties which may include information you provide when you participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site or social media platforms, or when you report a problem with our site.
Like many other website operators, our site collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. HBDS's purpose in collecting this non-personally-identifying information is to understand better how HBDS visitors use our website.
Hout Bay Dental Studio also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for logged in users and for users leaving comments on HBDS Blog posts. Hout Bay Dental Studio shall only disclose logged in user and commenter IP addresses under the same circumstances that it uses and discloses personally-identifying information as described below.
Our website, as do many others, uses third-party cookies, helping us improve the performance of our website and digital marketing, to provide you with a better user experience.
These cookies monitor activity throughout our website using third-party providers such as Google. We track which sources are effective at helping visitors find our website and make calls to us, navigation journeys throughout, and pages visited. We may use IP addresses, geo-location data and caller telephone numbers.
What are 'cookies'?
Cookies' are small encrypted text files that are stored by the user's website browser (for example, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari) on your computer or mobile device. Web developers use them to make websites work efficiently, or perform functions in a better way. They can do this because websites use them to recognise you and remember important information such as your user preferences or login details that make your use of a website more convenient.
For more information about cookies, please visit https://www.aboutcookies.org/.
- We require up-to-date, accurate information about you to assess and provide you with the dental care and treatment that you need.
- To contact you about your dental care. We will seek your preference as to how to contact you; our usual methods are by SMS, email, telephone, WhatsApp or letter.
- We may conduct patient surveys or contact you to find out if you are happy with the treatment you received for quality control purposes.
- We may use your information for our analysis to understand the effectiveness of our marketing activities.
- If we wish to use your information for dental education or research, we will discuss this with you and seek your consent. Depending on the purpose and if possible, we will anonymise your information. If this is not possible, we will inform you and discuss your options.
- We may use your contact details to inform you of products and services available online or at our practices.
- We have CCTV at Hout Bay Dental Studio for practice security and patient and staff safety.
Your information is usually used only by those working at the practice, but there may be instances where we need to share it – for example, with:
- Your doctor
- The hospital or community dental services or other health professionals caring for you
- Dental laboratories
- Private dental schemes of which you are a member
- Debt collection companies
We may also share your information with third-party providers to deliver the following services:
- Email communications to our patients
- Troubleshooting and support services for our various IT systems
We will only disclose your information on a need-to-know basis and will limit any information that we share to the minimum necessary. We also have third party agreements in place to protect your information.
In certain circumstances, or if required to do so by law, we may need to disclose your information to a third party not connected with your health care, for example, the South African Police Services, or other law enforcement or government agencies.
How we keep your information safe
We employ administrative, electronic and physical security measures to ensure that the information that we collect about you is protected from access by unauthorised persons and protected against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage.
- Password protection
- Locked rooms and cabinets
- Practice security systems, including CCTV
- Virus protection
- Secure servers
- Back-up facilities
- Secure cloud-based storage
We keep your dental records for ten years after the date of your last visit.
There are some other documents that we may need to collect that have various periods of retention dates. Retention periods may change from time to time based on business or legal and regulatory requirements.
You have a right to access the information that we hold about you and to receive a copy. You can contact our practice to make a request.
You have a right to correct any information that you believe is inaccurate or incomplete. Please contact our practice to request a change in information.
You have a right to request that we delete your personal information. However, you should be aware that, for legal reasons, we may be unable to erase certain information - for example, information about your dental treatment. Please contact our practice to make this request.
You have the right to request us to restrict the processing of your personal information, for example, sending you reminders for appointments or information about our services. Please contact our practice to make this request.
You have a right to data portability; this could include supplying your information to another dentist. Please contact our practice to make this request.